Sunday, May 16, 2010

Requirement #4

I was going to make this a requirement even before I read the previously posted article about cougars dying early, but now I'm thinking it should have been #1! He definitely has to be at least my age. I've tried dating younger men and it just doesn't work. Even two or three years make a big difference, more than that you might as well come from other planets. They say females mature faster than males anyway so even if we're the same age I'm already at a disadvantage. Now that I know that I'd be killing myself by dating someone 7-9 years younger, there's no way I'll be taking that risk again.

I know many of you are disagreeing with me thinking that age doesn't matter, and maybe there's a few of you that are actually making it work with a younger man. But in my experience it's just one more thing that drives a relationship apart. I am 38 years old. I am set in my ways, I know how to take care of myself, and I know what I want out of life. Any guy I've ever met that is younger than me still has no clue what they want. Therefore, being in a relationship with one of them requires me to take care of them and try to steer them in the right direction, like you would with a child. The problem is that I don't want a child. I want a grown up that I can relate to and share my life with. If I wanted children I would have had them by now. Sure, dating a younger guy might make me feel youthful and fun again, but the novelty wears off fast.

I know this because for 4 years I dated someone 8 1/2 years my junior. It was fun at first, and was only supposed to be a fling, but somehow I ended up parenting him for the entire time we were together. He lived with me rent free, ate all my food, watched my TV, and drove my car. I sent him off to college, started a business for him, and taught him how to clean. Just like my parents did to me when I WAS 18 YEARS OLD. I know you are thinking that I am a total dumbass for letting things go that far, and I completely agree with you. But look at the bright side...it was a learning experience. Had I not made this colossal mistake, I wouldn't be writing about it right now.

Now, all you women out there that are thinking about heading down a similar road, don't say I didn't warn you. If you're looking for another child, then go for it. If not, you might want to think twice about your decision.

Me personally? I want someone about 2-3 years older than me. That should put us on level playing fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment